• You must have been resident in the Principality of Andorra for at least 6 months. If you have been resident in Andorra for more than a year and own a vehicle you must register it and obtain Andorran registration plates.

  • A dossier containing the documents indicated below must be submitted to the Motor Vehicle Division of the Government of the Principality of Andorra - C/ Prat de la Creu 62-64 - ANDORRA LA VELLA Telephone (00 376) 87 57 00.

Required Documents

  • Passport

  • Residence Certificate

  • Original invoice of the vehicle

  • Documentary evidence that the owner has submitted the vehicle to a technical inspection by the Motor Vehicle Technical Inspectorate - Carretera d'Os - Edf. Govern - Aixovall - (00 376) 841 666 - Office Hours 9:00-13:00 and 15:00-17:00 and from 8.00 to 14.30 in Summer.

  • A motor insurance policy with an insurance company in the Principality of Andorra (please contact the Chamber of Commerce, lndustry and Services for a list of addresses : - This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it )

  • Technical Certificate of the vehicle

Steps to be taken

  • Insure your car. Your insurance agent will tell you what to do to pass the technical inspection.

  • Submit all documents to the Motor Vehicle Division of the Government of Andorra, who will give you the documents for your car - carta groga - ( yellow card = grey card).

  • Buy a tax certificate. Its price varies depending on your car's power and its consumption of diesel or petrol.

  • The registration plates are available from the Automobil Club of Andorra :

    Address: Carrer Babot - Camp 13
    Telephone (00 376) 820 890

    Their cost : 63.79 euros.

Andorra offers non-resident tourist plates which can be renewed indefinitely by mail.

Legal Basis
The law governing non-resident (so-called "tourist" plates) is the Llei del Codi de la Circulacio dated 10.06.1999 of the Consell General - specifically articles 153 through 159.

Criteria for Andorran Registration

  • You must not be resident in Andorra or any country of the European Union. (Citizens of EU countries will be required to prove residence elsewhere).

  • The vehicle must be under three years old.

  • If the vehicle has previously been registered (for example on tourist, export or transit plates of the country of manufacture) the previous plates must either have expired, or have no more than 30 days to run.

Registration by a Foreign Company
The Andorran law does not specifically state whether foreign companies are allowed to take advantage of the tourist plate registration. However, the general legal opinion is that this is possible, since the local registration regime allows for both legal and physical persons to register vehicles. In practice, we recommend registering in a personal/individual name.

A 7% duty on the value of the car must be paid on original registration. If a vehicle is less than six months old the invoice price is normally used for valuation purposes. For any other vehicle, the authorities use the French equivalent of Glass's Second hand Car Guide and (notionally) deduct the original tax payable in France in order to arrive at a tax-free valuation.

In addition there is a logbook fee for the carta groga or yellow registration document and a fee for your plates.

The vehicle will be required to be physically present for an inspection of the chassis number at Aixovall, (the Andorran government's vehicle inspection facility) before completion of the formalities. Normally the owner should attend as well, but it is possible to send someone else with a power of attorney.

T2 form
It is important to note that the 1991 Customs Union with the Common Market (which does not imply membership) binds Andorra to the EEC regulations concerning the import of cars into the Community. You must therefore make sure that when buying a non-EEC manufactured export car that you obtain a T2 form from the supplier.

It is to be noted that tourist plates last for one year and must be renewed every year. Traditionally people take their cars back every year to replate them, but under the law of July 1999 it is possible to arrange for this to be done by post provided there has been no change in the vehicle or its ownership.

Andorran insurance is obligatory for all Andorran-registered vehicles. Fortunately, Andorra has a wide range of reputable insurance companies. Andorran car insurance is typically more expensive when compared to other countries (for example the UK) but the good news is that the coverage is better. An annual green card is automatically included.